"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible,

to speak a few reasonable words." Goethe

Monday, February 6, 2017

Sabbath Thought: Gratitude


Psalm16:5,11 
Lord . . .
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
      What a wonderful inheritance!
. . .
You have shown me the way of life, and you will fill me with the joy of your presence. 

Mindful
                    by Mary Oliver
Every day
I see or hear
something
that more or less
kills me
with delight,
that leaves me
like a needle
in the haystack
of light.
It was what I was born for -
to look, to listen,
to lose myself
inside this soft world -
to instruct myself
over and over
in joy,
and acclamation.
Nor am I talking
about the exceptional,
the fearful, the dreadful,
the very extravagant -
but of the ordinary,
the common, the very drab,
the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar,
I say to myself,
how can you help
but grow wise
with such teachings
as these -
the untrimmable light
of the world,
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass?
To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
                                   -William Henry Channing, 1810 - 1884






There are joys which long to be ours.
God sends ten thousands truths,
which come about us like birds seeking inlet;
but we are shut up to them,
and so they bring us nothing,
but sit and sing awhile upon the roof,
and then fly away.
                                        ~Henry Ward Beecher
__________________________________________________

No comments: